Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Alternative Teacher Redeployment

So, I imagined something different.  Instead of having me covering the lunchroom or the "excessed" student room, the Alternative Teacher Redeployment program has managed to have me in rotation at four schools in my district, each without a computer teacher.  I met with the principals, looked over the school and its computer lab and have discussed the overall needs of the school with all involved.  A planned schedule was drawn up and everyone agreed to the particulars.  In the end, each of the four schools now had a computer teacher (albeit one week a month) and I knew where I was going and what I would be doing each week. Best of all...there was purpose.

But this won't be happening even though it probably could.  All it requires is a clearheaded yet creative effort to solve a problem. I would think that a scenario like the one described can be applied to a number of different teachers at a number of different schools.  If, in fact, the teachers can not be paid from the particular school's budget, there is no inherent reason why that teacher's services must be eliminated from the particular school.  Pay that teacher's salary from Central which is being done anyway; the check stubs look the same ya know, and let the school and students benefit, at least somewhat, from the purposeful ATR assignments.  It makes a whole lot of difference for the teachers in the trenches to know where they are going and what they will be doing each week   

No comments:

Post a Comment